How to Maintain/Manage Red Hair

6 comments
Hi guys, so as you may already know I have recently dyed my hair a rather bright red and as its been a few weeks now I think I'm getting the hang of looking after it and maintaining it. So I thought I would share my tips with you in case any of you are considering dyeing your hair red or any other bright colour. Just a quick note to say I am not a hairstylist nor do I claim to be a professional these tips & ideas are just what I do, they might not work for everybody.

Another side note I would just like to add that dyeing your hair is obviously not great for it so maybe start of with a wash in wash out to make sure that you like the colour you have chosen before you go all out and dye it. As its quite difficult and bad for your hair to try and go from one hair colour to another in a short space of time because you don't like the colour or because its gone wrong - believe me I know!


So this is my hair when its normal (I haven't done anything to it) although I think my camera has made it look a little darker than it actually is, its actually a bit more of a bright red. So as anyone with bright hair knows that it can fade quite easily and I have already had to dye it again once, before I'd kind of worked out the tricks to making it last longer.


So these are the products I use in order to help manage my hair:

- Garnier Nutrisse hair dye, the colour I use is called 'Vibrant Red' as my hair colour originally was blonde the dye made my hair abit brighter than the image on the packaging but if your hair is darker then it will probably be more similar to the image shown. Garnier Nutrisse is always my go to hair dye, it doesn't leave my hair damaged or dry and I love the conditioner that comes with it, its so nourishing and smells absolutely amazing.




- The Shampoo & Conditioner that I use is the John Frieda Radiant Red collection, I haven't been using these for too long but I absolutely love them already, 1) the liquid is red! how can that not be cool? 2) they have done pretty well to stop the colour from fading and it has left my hair feeling soft and looking shiny which makes it look alot healthier than it probably is. These shampoo & conditioners are non-colour depositing so won't add colour to your hair but will help to maintain the colour that you already have. If you are looking for a shampoo & conditioner that will colour your hair then you will need one that does deposit colour. I very much like these 2 items and look forward to using them more in the future. I would definitely recommend this items to maintain your colour, I would also recommend the blonde range from John Frieda as I used to use them on my hair before I dyed it and it does a wonderful job for blonde hair as well.

- This item is probably my holy grail item for red hair, as one of the main reasons that hair colour fades is through washing it - obviously continue to wash your hair, but try to wash it less than you would usually. This is where the Batiste Dry Shampoo for red hair comes in, unfortunately my hair is one of those types where it can become greasy quite quickly and so to avoid washing it as often I simply dry shampoo the heck out of it. Because the dry shampoo is designed for red hair it adds a slight bit of colour to your hair when once rubbed in will blend with your colour, so no nasty grey root surprises that often comes along with normal dry shampoo's. This is the product that I would most recommend it is an absolute gem of a product.



Okay so now that I have spoken abit about the products I use I will quickly mention some tips I have in order to keep the colour and maintain the health of your dyed hair.

                                                                 Don't Wash it too much

As I mentioned briefly above washing your hair is one of the main things that will cause your hair colour to fade, so avoid over washing. I tend to wash my hair about once/twice a week, unless I'm going out or have something important to do. The less you wash it the more the colour will stay attached, this is where the saviour that is dry shampoo comes into play, spray abit in and no one will know if you washed your hair that morning or a week ago.

                                                                   Rinse your hair with cold water

When rinsing your shampoo or conditioner out of your hair the colder the water the more the colour will stay in your hair, so once you've lathered your hair then switch the the tap from hot to cold (not like ice cold, just a chilled setting) and rinse it out.

                                                                  Less Shampoo, More Conditioner

I have found that shampoo has been seen to be one of the main components in regards to my hair colour fading, so obviously continue to shampoo but put it on then rinse it off, don't leave it on for a long period of time, the quicker the better in regards to shampoo. Whereas with conditioner make sure you use plenty as dyeing your hair does dry your hair out and using conditioner will help to keep it full of moisture and keep it looking and feeling healthy.

                                                                            Be Confident 

This isn't really to do with the upkeep of hair but in regards to dyeing your hair, especially if your going to dye it bright colour's, make sure you like it and be confident, if you like it then it doesn't matter if anyone else doesn't. I have dyed my hair enough crazy colour's to not care what people think, because like in every aspect of life there will be people who think its okay to basically talk shit (Excuse my language) because they don't like it. So make sure you've got the confidence to rock the colour.

So that is the end of a rather long post, my apologies! In hindsight it would probably have been better to do two separate posts, but oh well! I hope you guys liked to see what products I use for my hair and my hair tips. Do you have any hair care tips? If anyone's going to take the plunge into bright dyed hair let me know! I'd love to know what colour your going.

Speak Soon
Charlotte x
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments:

  1. you look stunning!! this colour suits you so much!
    lovely blog. now following and looking forward to more posts :)
    xx

    http://blueviolethearts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much! :) Thanks for following! I really like your blog.

      Charlotte xx

      Delete
  2. This colour totally suits you! I dyed my hair red once and I literally cried everytime I washed my hair and saw the red come out in the water! So, it looks like you know what you're doing! I love your blog and i'm following you right away!!

    xxx

    www.bellas-wardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks :) I know exactly what you mean, especially at the beginning when you first wash it and the shower looks like a scene from CSI, not ideal. Thanks a bunch :) I really like your blog too, following! and looking forward to reading more posts :)

      Charlotte xx

      Delete
  3. i used the john freida stuff when my hair was red, it's so good. Whenever I used it people would always comment and ask if I had dyed it again - 'no just shampoo!'

    http://antoinettevintage.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, definitely helps to save money on dye :)

      Charlotte xx

      Delete

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig