Feminism for Dummies | What makes a Woman?

1 comment
The term feminism comes with so much baggage - its seen to be this dirty word only uttered by man-hating, bra burning, angry women. Let me make something very clear feminism does not warrant female supremacy! It is fighting for equality for everyone. That is the point. So why are these medieval style witch hunts still going around shunning anyone who dares speak the dreaded F-Word. 

If such individuals would care to take a minute to gaze upon the definition of Feminism they would find:

'the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes'

or 

'the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.'

I'm not entirely sure how that has translated into 'angry man hating women who wish to rule the world in an angry dictatorship and sacrifice men for their man hating goddess.' But that is a whole session of face palming for another day. 

An example that has come to my attention recently is the whole recent 'Beyonce - Feminist - Half Naked dancing' situation. People are slating Queen Bey for daring to share the stage with the word FEMINISM whilst strutting around in skimpy clothing whilst dancing provocatively, stating that she is giving feminism a bad name and being anti feminist by deliberately objectifying herself for the entertainment of men. 

I personally think Beyonce looks damn fine, if she wants to dress in a certain way that shows off her body that she's clearly worked hard for and is proud of then you go girl. It seems that there is a misunderstanding that in order to be a feminist you can not give off any indication of any form of sexuality. EVER. 

People still don't seem to understand that the two can co exist. A female can demand the right to be treated equally to men whilst looking damn fine shaking her booty if she wants to, that is the entire point. It is not for anyone to tell us that we aren't real feminists if we want to expose a bit of flesh every now and then. Likewise you cannot tell someone they are not a 'real woman' because they don't meet your cookie cutter idealist checklist of what a real woman is. 

It has come to my attention that there is far too much double standard bullshit going around which I am very concerned about. There seems to be this backward notion in society that women are expected to be these beautiful, feminine, effervescent creatures, but when we don't live up to this stereotype we are often accused of not being 'proper' women. And then on the flip side if we choose to embrace our femininity and actively show an interest in our appearance then we are seen to be shallow and vain, or criticised by 'so-called feminists' for 'giving into the patriarchy' and 'letting the side down'.

The way I see it and let me be perfectly clear on this - YOU DO NOT GET TO DICTATE WHAT OR WHO A WOMAN SHOULD BE! 

If I want to have long hair and wear lipstick that is my choice, likewise if I choose to go au natural and wear tracksuits that too is my choice. I don't dress or act the way I do because someone tells me that is the way I should do it. Who the hell does! 

And quite frankly who the hell are you to tell me and all us fellow ladies out there what characteristics, actions or traits make a woman - no one! 

If an individual identifies themselves as a woman that is it. done. It doesn't matter if they are slim, fuller figured, blonde, brunette, red head, hetoresexual, homosexual, bisexual, transgendered, athletic, intellectual, androgynous, likes to wear a face full of make up, doesn't want to wear any make up, likes to wear short skirts and high heels, likes to wear tracksuits and trainers, whether they are au-natural or are a fan of plastic surgery, irregardless of skin colour or ethnic origin -- none of it matters! And no other individual has the right to determine what makes a woman or begrudge another the right to identify themselves as a woman.

I am worth more than my looks and I refuse to be told or made to feel like I'm letting my gender down because of how I look. I'm who I am because of who I want to be and its staying that way. I am a woman & a feminist and proud of both those things. 

To me feminism embraces that and strives for that to be accepted in society so that women can stand equally to men, without having to justify ourselves. 

I could discuss this for hours and inevitably there will be a follow on post because I have plenty more I want to say. 

Be who you want to be and don't let anyone tell you that its wrong to be that way.

Speak Soon
Charlotte xx


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with this post. I was once berated on Twitter by a "hardcore feminist" because I mentioned that I prefer to shave my legs. She chooses not to. I don't do it for anyone else's benefit, but my own. I just prefer it. And I don't see why choosing to do that means I should not be a feminist. I can still believe in women's rights. It;s just a subject I don't mention anymore.

    ReplyDelete

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig