Quarter Life Crisis | Get Out Of Your Head

Leave a Comment

Image found on Pinterest

I'm 24, (not so slowly closing in on 25) still living at home, in a retail job I have no passion for.  Do I sound like a loser? Probably. Do I care? Not anymore.

For far too long I have been stuck in my head, experiencing existential crisis' & overwhelming inner turmoil, one after the other. Until recently it culminated into one huge breakdown, the big daddy of breakdowns.  The nuclear blast of breakdowns. 

In the wake of this meltdown I took time to reflect on my life, and the things I've actually achieved. I think there is so much pressure put on young people to go straight from school, to university and come straight out the other side into a slick, corporate, city job. That was never going to be me. I knew straight away, the day after my final exam that I wanted to travel. 'there's plenty of time for a career' I told myself, and that still is very much my mindset. 

I 100% live by the thought that I don't want to wake up one day when I'm 50 years old and wonder where my life has gone and what I've done with it. 

I don't regret my decisions at all, I've seen so many wonderful places and done so many exciting things. I've learnt more about myself during my time away than I could ever do stuck sat at a desk. Sometimes, however, it's hard not to wonder what if? What if I had gone straight into a graduate job, and moved out from home straight away like some of my friends? Would I be happier? Maybe. The truth is I'll never know. 

This industry itself is so highly cemented in comparison and competition. Whilst there is so much support and kindness, you can't deny it. Everyone is told that to achieve anything, you have to be more like 'this' person and we all spend far too long sitting and wondering why haven't achieved as much as 'that' person. Criticizing ourselves constantly about whether our content is actually any good, and if anyone really gives a shit about what we have to say.

Image found on Pinterest
They say that 'comparison is the thief of joy,' and it's so true, the more time you spend worrying about what other people are doing, the less you are enjoying the things you are doing. 

I am literally the worst person for getting stuck in my head, freaking out and letting it build up until it releases in a big ol' breakdown, which is fine every now and then to get it all out of your system, but it's probably not the most healthy or recommended way of dealing with stress. 

I'm a big believer in everything happening for a reason and I need to start trying to remember that I made my choices because I wanted to, and that one day (hopefully soon) I will reap the rewards from those decisions and everything will fall into place. 

I'm not 100% sure what this giant disjointed mess, overflowing with cliches is actually meant to be, but writing it has been so cathartic, so I guess that's a win.
Image found on Pinterest

Basically, just don't spend as much time stuck in your own head, enjoy what you are doing, try to think less about what other people are doing, and eventually it will all work itself out?

What are your tips for dealing with stress?
Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?

Speak Soon
Char x 


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig