Pages

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Film Review | The Dark Knight Rises

I do not own this image

So if you couldn't guess by the title I went to see the new Batman film recently, "The Dark Knight Rises" Is the concluding film in the series of Christopher Nolan's take on the Batman Franchise. Before seeing the film I was in two minds about it, on one side the batman, comic book, superhero geek within me couldn't wait to see it on the other side I was apprehensive about how it would top the previous film "The Dark Knight" starring the late Heath Ledger as The Joker which in my opinion is one of the best superhero villian portryals ever! But i'd heard wonderful reviews about it both critically and from friends, so of course I was going to give it a go, and I am so glad I did.

WARNING: This may contain some spoilers so if you haven't seen it do so before you read on!

The film is set 8 years after the events of the previous film in which Batman is in exile and Bruce Wayne has become older and slightly decrepid and hermit like, he encounters Selina Kyle (CatWoman) who later becomes the "messenger" between Batman and Bane. Bruce Wayne learns of the threat of Terrorist Bane whose aim is to destroy Gotham against the wishes of Alfred Pennyworth, Batman is persuaded to return by Commisioner Gordon and John Blake. After Batman and Bane fight head to head, Bane cripples Batman and sends him to a prison where he himself once attended, a prison that is physically impossible to escape, bar one previous escapee. Bane then takes over Gotham and threatens the use of a nuclear bomb if anyone attempts to leave. After retraining and many attempts Batman finally escapes the prison and returns to Gotham where he is reunited by his allies and they then in turn destroy Bane's attempt to destroy Gotham.

I think that the production of this film was wonderfull the special effects were what every action and superhero fan wish to see, I thought the plot was well thought out and there were some wonderful twists which kept the audience on their toes, however saying that some parts were abit predictable but enjoyable nonetheless. I enjoyed the use of the characters, particularly the villain Bane portrayed by Tom Hardy, the character was wonderfully creepy and menacing, and was a threat in a both physical and mental way which gave a refreshing villanious feel, this portrayal hasn't quite won over my love for Heath Ledger's Joker but as a completely different type of villain he is definately up near the top.

I enjoyed the inclusion of the classic characters seen in the previous film: Alfred Pennyworth played by Michael Caine, Commisioner Gordon played by Gary Oldman and Lucius Fox played by Morgan Freeman, and the use of fresh faces, such as Joseph Gordon-Levitts references to Robin. The character of Selina Kyle/Catwoman was one I was wary about as I think that the character of Catwoman has been overdone and is abit Bleurgh (with lack of a better word) and i'm not an avid fan of Anne Hathaway, however I think that her portrayal was refreshing and definately changed my mind about the character, also I wish I could look as good in a catsuit as she did. And of course last but not least Christian Bale's performance was excellent as always and he's pretty easy on the eyes so can't complain, his perfomance as Batman will be greatly missed.

I'm definately a fan of this film and would reccomend it to anyone, I don't think that its surpassed its predecessor but I think its level with it in regards to entertainment and will definately purchasing the DVD when it is released.

What did you guys think of the film? If you still haven't seen it...go now!

Speak Soon
Charlotte x

P.S. - Also if any of you got the reference of the title of this post then you get 100 cool points from me! well done :)

No comments:

Leave a comment.

Copyright @ by, char | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN